Monday, December 8, 2008

Public Humiliation as Punishment

This morning I was on my way to the office and I past a young man standing on the corner. He was probably about 12 and was wearing a sandwich board sign that read "I'm a liar, a theif and a bully and I don't care about anyone but myself." I was shocked to say the least. And I found myself thinking about it all day.

I wonder what it was that this young man did to get himself into trouble? And did his parents try other means of punishment and this what they felt they had to resort to?

I have to admit that my first thought was "Oh my who would do that to their child?" and then I had to thought "whatever he did I bet he won't do that again".

You have to wonder though if that would really work or if this young man was already calloused enough that it wouldn't matter. Kids now days can be like that. And it makes me sad. They have formed the opinion of "so what are you going to do about it, huh". Parents have offered no real consequenses for the child's actions. Is that the case with this young man? Did they not discipline him until now and this was the form of punishment they chose? I guess I'll never really know the thoughts and reasonings.

What do you think? Do you think that form of punishment would be ok?

2 comments:

Marva said...

I'm not sure that hubby and i would ever do that to the boys but we do believe in making our children mind........even at 2 years old (they will be three in march).

They are learning when we speak to listen and they also are learning to say polite things such as please, thank you, no sir, yes sir, no ma'am, yes ma'am.

Right now we are really trying to learn about repecting things (books, toys, household things) and people's privacy (in the bathroom).

I think it is a process, but you have to start early. What do you think?

blessings!!!!

Leahann said...

I agree with you completely. It's sad though that I see so many kids that don't have parents that feel that way. My SIL is one of them. She will sit in the other room yelling "you better knock that off" over and over but never actually gets up and does anything. Her kids know that there is NO consequence for their actions.

I think that follow through with your word is the most important thing you can give your kids. If they can't count on knowing that what you say is your word them what do they have?