Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Day in History

What a day we have had in our country today!!! How wonderful that we have the privilege of living in a country where we have a say in who's leading our nation. How wonderful that we have the privilege to witness another great day in history for our country.

Wither you voted for Obama or not and wither you agree with his stands on the issues or not you have to agree that this was a wonderful day in history. On the radio today they were talking about how the White House has now come full circle. It was African American slaves that built the White House and now there is an African American moving into the White House.

I remember early in the campaign (while Hillary was still in the running) wondering if our country was ready to put either a woman or a black man in the White House. Even with all the accomplishments we have made over the past 100 years and more in particularly over the past 50 years towards equal rights and anti-racism, I still had to wonder if it was enough. And while I'm excited to see that our country was able to put race aside I still see that it's an issue. And it's an issue because the media makes it an issue. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see the day come when the color of a person's skin isn't even brought into the discussion.

Martin Luther King said "I dream of the day when my children are judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of the character" and I pray that I get to see that day. I pray that I get to see the day when the content of ones character far out ways sex, creed or race. To see a day when an NFL team wins the Super Bowl and the media doesn't make an issue out of the coach being a black man. The day when a woman makes it to the White House (it could happen) and the issue of her being a woman isn't really a big deal but her stand on the issues and what she can do for our country is.

I hope that I am doing a good job of raising my daughter in that manner. To look at a man like Obama and see A MAN not a black man. To look at a person with a disability and see the person not their disability.

So wither you voted for Obama or not and wither you agree with him or not, please join me in praying for him. Praying that God gives him the wisdom he will need to lead our country and to work to turn our economical turmoil around.

1 comment:

Marva said...

Praying......for him and our country.

blessings!