Saturday, January 10, 2009

Board Games from the 70's and 80's

When we were kids we had a ton of board games. My brother and I would spend hours playing on days that the weather was horrible so we didn't go out to play. I was thinking about it the other day and remembered one of my favorites, Match II. Funny that it came to mind for me because I hadn't thought about it in years.

It was a great memory game that I'm sure I never thought about how educational it actually was at the time. But I would imagine that's one of the reasons my mom bought it for us. Matching up all the flags of the world. It's funny that now you get a memory game for your kids and they are filled with Disney characters or some other cartoon and we thought that flags of the world was fun.





So tell me about a game from your childhood.

7 comments:

Marva said...

Can you say Aggrivation?! I loved, loved that game and still have it to this day!

Great post!

Blessings!

Leahann said...

that was a good one too. I'm thinking I'm going to have to find all those old games for Kim.

Nicole Fankhouser said...

You cannot believe how log I have looking for the Match II game. I could not remember the name of it, so for the last several years I have been looking online under Game of Flags, Flag Memory or Concentration, never finding it until tonight. I called my mother to see if she remembered the name, but she did not. I searched under many things--finding the game under a web sight with vintage games. Oh my goodness--vintage. I don't believe how long it has been. It is nice to see/read that others enjoyed this game as well.

sandra said...

I just want to thank you for having a photo of this game and a memory of it as fond as mine. I just posted today on FB, asking any friends if they could remember the name of this flag flipping game...and a childhood friend of mine who lives in Mass found your blog with the Match II post. I was so excited! I hope to thrift shop one of these one of these days so I can play it with my kids (I'll have to have after play lessons to teach them how innacurate many countries flags and names are now due to political unrest, upheaval, revolution, etc.) We unfortunately didn't keep ours after we grew up.

Thanks again for posting a great shared memory!
Best,
Sandra McCabe (Philadelphia)

Before I Kick The... said...

I want this game. Where can I buy

Unknown said...

A blast from the true pass!

Unknown said...

My neighbor and cousin had one but theirs where about animals. I remember when my neighbor bought a new board, I had the pleasure of putting the stickers on the tiles. We played endless game with that. It really helped improve many of my team mates memory including mine with that game. I was 7 at this time. Love the nostalgia feels this gives.