Sunday, August 10, 2008

What a night

So Friday night Kim and I joined about 250 other members of our community in the Relay for Life. This was the first time we joined. I decided that it was such a great cause and a good opportunity to start teaching Kim that we do for others where ever we can.
Our team was the Pink Flamingos and what a great group of ladies to spend the night with.


The Survivors started off the relay with the first lap. I was suprised to see so many people that I know but didn't know they were survivors. Just goes to show that cancer really does touch everyone. In one way or another.


As the night wore on and the sun went down, the luminarias were lit. What a site. To see that line of of lit luminarias with names of so many loved ones who have fought this battle. Some won. Others lost.

After walking a few laps with me and playing hard with the other kids that were there Kim finally tuckered out and fell asleep. Hugging her bag of cheetos. Even asleep she had a grip on that bag and wasn't willing to give it up.


The rest of the night was spent walking and walking. I'm sure I walked atleast 10 miles. My feet, ankels and hips are very stiff and sore but that is a small price to pay for such a great cause. We will be doing it again next year for sure.

2 comments:

Mel @ Studio MCA Designs said...

Awww- what a sweet picture, all tuckered out. Great Cheetos ad too! Glad the experience was a good one. What a wonderful effort to support. My husband is also a survivor of Melanoma.

Scraps of Bev said...

Well done Leahann, such a good cause and I love the photo of Kim all tucked up sound asleep but still clutching her bag of Cheetos.