Monday, June 29, 2009

What moves your soul?

I've been thinking about this question all week. For me it's music. For me music can completely transform an attitude, a situation, a place. Music can take me back to a place and time within just the first few measures of a song. Roxette's Joyride always takes me back to Republic, Wa in the beginnings of Larry and I's relationship. That song starts playing and I'm right back in that town. Shania Twain's Come On album puts me in Elko.

I have known people who aren't really "music people". The prefer silence or talk radio to hearing songs play. And while I understand completely that everyone has different like and dislikes, it's a bit strange to me.

Music has always been a big part of my world. As a kid my mom had hundreds of albums, back in the days of vinyl. She had them all organized alphbetically by artist and then each artist by release date (oddly enough I do the same thing). But she would start at the beginning of the alphabet and play them all the way through till she got to the last album and then would start over. We got to hear weeks of Elvis. Well I'm sure it probably wasn't weeks but she had a lot of them. One of my favorites as a kid was a Moody Blues album she had. I honestly couldn't tell you what was on that album I just like it because the vynil was blue. It was really pretty cool. I would sing at the top of my lungs to singers like Reba, Sylvia, Tammy Wynett. There was a lot of country in our house.

Over the years my likes have changed a bit. But I can always go back to something I liked years ago and listened to a lot of and still enjoy it. Even if it's not my favorite pick for that day. I still sing at the top of my lungs. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts. Working in the garden with my Ipod on and singing so loud the world have hear me. If you look at my cd and Itunes collections today you'll find everything from Classical to ACDC to Jesus Culture. There are some things that I just can't listen to. I find that some things, especially at a certain volume, instantly make me angry so I don't listen to that stuff ever. I prefer to feel other emotions when I listen to music. I love a good song that just makes you want to get up and move. My Kimmie is a dancer too (of course now if she thinks you are looking she won't move a muscle but deep down I know she wants to shake her booty). There are even days when I can sit on the floor and play a song over and over and just get out a good cry. Someday I just need to do that.

Lately you will find me listening to more praise and worship songs then anything else. I can be having the worst day and put on my Ipod and start singing for God and it totally changes my mindset and my attitude. I've even written a couple of songs in the past few months and had the priviledge of sharing one of them at church this past Sunday. That was quite a leap for me I think. Sharing them with Pastor Carey but my confidence level isn't such that I would have just shared them with everyone else had she not said "I think we need to sing this one". I hope everyone enjoyed it but at the same time it really doesn't matter because the song wasn't about me or what everyone else thought of it. It was about Him and that what's really the most important.

No comments: