Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I RELAY BECAUSE.........

This past August Kim and I joined our first Relay for Life. Larry lost both his parents to cancer and we lost my Uncle Bob in July after his courageous fight with this awful disease. I decided that it was time to start teaching Kim that we do things for other people for a greater good. So we packed up our bedding, borrowed a tent from my sister (God knows where ours is in the garage attic) and went to spend the night in the park walking. Walking for those that we have lost, walking for those who are fighting, and walking for those who have fought and WON!!! The whole night was so amazing and emotional and just everything overwhelming that I decided then that I wanted to be a bigger part of it. I joined the committee.

Saturday I spent the day in Spokane at Relay University. I learned a lot and came away with some great ideas for fundraising. My head is realing with a couple of plans. One for a committee fundraiser and a few for out team.

So our first meeting is next week. I've been asked to be Sponsorship Chairman. Which I'm excited but at the same time a little apprehensive. The woman who has had that position for a long time and while I know she has a lot on her plate with her job, family and her own battle with cancer right now I don't want her to feel like she's being pushed aside. And I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes. But what ever is best for the cause will be what I will do.

So be prepared for my requests for help in our fundraising efforts.

My hope is that there will come a day when no one ever has to say to a friend or loved one "I have cancer" again.

No comments: